Monday, February 8

Introduction to the Chronicle

A mined area in Prestea
I have been greatly influenced by experiences to codify what I saw, heard and interpreted when I got the opportunity to visit one of the numerous mining communities in Ghana. There have been recorded cases of the situations in the mining communities.

I believe this report is pure and undefiled facts from the ground.
As you follow this chronicle in the various parts, you will come to appreciate the reality in most of the mining communities in the country Ghana.

Mining Communities in Ghana
Often times, when I hear of mining communities, I presume that they will be the wealthiest communities in the country but that is really not the true reflection on the ground so far as I am concerned.
Whenever a mineral resource is identified in a community or country, it attracts the presence of investors who are ready to commit their resources to help tap out such minerals.
Currently in Ghana, according to EPA Ghana AKOBEN Programme 2012 data (retrieved on 7th February, 2016), there are sixteen (16) mining communities mined by various mining companies in the country.
The communities are as follows: 
  1. Damang
  2. Teleku Bakazo
  3. Iduapriem
  4. Obuasi
  5. Chirano
  6. Awaso
  7. Nsuta
  8. Tarkwa
  9. Bogoso
  10. Akyempim
  11. Kenyasi
  12. New Abirem
  13. Bibiani
  14. Konongo
  15. Ayanfuri 
  16. Prestea.



Why Prestea?

I have chosen to speak on the case of Prestea for this first chronicle because I was privileged to visit this community early January 2016.

By the kind courtesy of Federation of Environmental Journalists (FEJ) on the campus of Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ) with the support from Ghana Water Partnership (GWP), I found myself with some other colleagues from GIJ on a field trip to this community.

I was amazed at most of the things that I saw with my eyes and some of them that I heard with my ears. I pray that the various parts of this chronicle will be well visualized and revealing to you and that you will follow keenly. 

To be continued... 

SOME PICTURES FROM THE FIELD
Mr. Asante, The Driver who assisted the team to Prestea



The team on board

FEJ Members planning for the first day @ Bogoso



KINDLY SEND IN YOUR FEEDBACKS IN THE FORM OF COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS AND QUESTIONS EITHER HERE OR FACEBOOK (JULIUS KOFI SATSI). 

THANKS FOR READING.

0 comments: